So I’ve been using uTorrent for a while now and lately its been a real bandwidth hog, and I couldn’t browse any websites, check email, or connect to IRC when it was running. I could only do these things after exiting the program and repairing my internet connection. So I took a little visit to the forums at utorrent.com and found these helpful tips:
– Disable IP resolving in the Peers tab
– Try disabling DHT (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent)
– Try disabling UPnP (Can be found in Preferences > Connection)
– Try lowering maximum global number of connections to 200? 100? 50? (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent)
– Lower net.max_halfopen to 4 (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)
– Patched TCPIP.sys and restarted computer after patching? (Assumes you are using Windows XP w/ SP2)
– Connect your computer directly to the modem to make sure the problem is not caused by the router
– Restart your computer, modem, and router after performing any of the above
I followed all of them up to lower netmax halfopen and it worked perfectly😀 Now I have great speed and I can use all my internet applications. Yay!
This may help you too, Gimpi. When you get back from vacation, at least.